Interested in exploring 450 million years of Hoosier history? The IGWS Geology Museum offers displays of Indiana rocks, minerals, and fossils for learners of all ages. Browse the home page calendar of upcoming events for educational programs for families, adults, and groups.
Extend your visit by touring the limestone architecture of the Indiana University campus. Download a self-guided walking tour or pick up a free copy at the IGWS Bookstore or Bloomington Visitors Center. For extra fun, complete the Limestone Owl Scavenger Hunt for a chance to win a prize.
Plan Your Visit
- The museum is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- We are closed during University holidays, including Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Eve through New Year's Day.
- Weekend and evening hours are available for special events.
Admission is always free, donations are welcome.
The IGWS Geology Museum is located at 420 N. Walnut Street during the Geology Building renovation. The accessible entrance to the IGWS Museum is located on the N. Walnut Street side of the building.
Transportation & Parking
The Survey is located near several Bloomington Transit stops. The Walnut Street parking garage is located 1.5 blocks away (where the first hour is free!) and street parking is free on weekends and after 5:00 pm on weekdays.
- Elevator- Our passenger elevator goes to all levels of the building.
- Restrooms- Restrooms are stroller and wheelchair accessible. Two double-stall restrooms are available on the first floor.
- Service Animals- Service animals specially trained to assist a person with a disability are welcome in all Survey facilities.
- Large Print Labels- Large print labels are available for visitors with low vision at the Bookstore desk.
If you have a special need that is not met by our current programming and resources, please email us. We are always looking for ways to expand our offerings and include as many audiences as possible.