Geology is photogenic in the Hoosier State, and we want your best shot! Submit your image(s) using these categories as a guide:
- Hoosier Landscapes: Outstanding or noteworthy geologic landscapes and sites in Indiana
- Geologic Processes: Natural feature resulting from an earth process in Indiana
- Specimens and Samples: Interesting fossil, rock, or mineral samples collected in Indiana
Images will be posted to a public photo album on the IGWS Facebook page each quarter for judging. The photo that receives the most "likes" in the last two weeks of the month will be featured as our Facebook cover photo and website banner photo. Additional uses in social media posts or publications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Winter Photo contest: Entries posted January 15–31, winner announced February 3
Spring Photo contest: Entries posted April 15–30, winner announced May 4
Summer Photo contest: Entries posted July 15–31, winner announced August 3
Fall Photo contest: Entries posted October 15–30, winner announced November 2
How to Enter
Email the following to IGWSinfo@indiana.edu with a subject of line "Photo Contest”:
- Your name, email, and mailing address
- A caption describing the image
- Image in landscape orientation, JPG, TIFF, or PNG format, no larger than 20 MB each
- Name your file using your first initial and last name (ex: JDoe_CliftyFalls.jpg)
- Photographs must have been taken in Indiana.
- Images must not include anything obscene or inappropriate, and cannot include faces, trademarked symbols, or advertising. Submissions will be subject to our discretion.
- Amateur and professional photographs will be considered.
By submitting image(s) to the IGWS Photo Contest, you hereby warrant that you are the creator of the original image, that it does not infringe upon any rights of others, including copyrights, or rights of privacy or publicity, and that you agree to grant the Indiana Geological and Water Survey an irrevocable, nonexclusive, worldwide license to reproduce and distribute the image in all media, so long as proper credit is given to you.