Discovery Trunks are teaching toolboxes for Indiana educators. Each trunk helps users explore Indiana's unique geology with themes ranging from geologic time to rocks and minerals. Lessons and activities are designed to match Indiana Academic Standards, making them ideal teaching aids to integrate with classroom activities.
Each trunk contains authentic geological specimens and high quality replicas of especially rare or fragile items. Books, background references, and digital content may be included to enhance educational activities.
Trunks are available to K-12 educators, homeschool groups, libraries, scout troops, or other groups engaged in educational programming with a $50 cash deposit. The trunks may be borrowed for a maximum of two weeks, and must be picked up and returned in Bloomington. Shipping options are not available at this time.
To reserve a Discovery Trunk, please click here.
Learn to identify common rocks of Indiana!
- Classroom set of sedimentary rock samples
- Classroom set of rock identification tools
- Classroom set of rock identification charts
- Sedimentary Rocks of Indiana poster
Explore the ancient life of Indiana with 3-D prints and fossil specimens.
- Fossil specimens
- Classroom set of 3-D fossil prints
- Classroom set of fossil identification charts
- Fossils of Indiana poster
- Mining in Society
- Ice Age Indiana
- Skulls and Teeth