Mastodon Art Contest
The IGWS is celebrating Indiana's new state fossil with an art contest for all ages. Create your rendition of the American mastodon (Mammut americanum) to be featured in a 2023 IGWS exhibit and publication.
- Bones or hair? Cartoon or realistic? You decide!
- Entry categories for K-5 grades, 6-12 grades, and adults
- Email entries to IGWSinfo@indiana.edu with a subject of line "Art Contest”
- If selected, we will contact you for the original artwork and/or a high-resolution scan.
- Participants must be Indiana residents.
- Images must not include anything obscene or inappropriate, and cannot include trademarked symbols or advertising. Submissions will be subject to our discretion.
- Amateur and professional illustrations will be considered.
By submitting image(s) to the IGWS Mastodon Art Contest, you hereby warrant that you are the creator of the original image, that it does not infringe upon any rights of others, including copyrights, or rights of privacy or publicity, and that you agree to grant the Indiana Geological and Water Survey an irrevocable, nonexclusive, worldwide license to reproduce and distribute the image in all media, so long as proper credit is given to you.
2022 Fall Programs
The IGWS welcomes adults, families, and youth of all ages to participate in our FREE fall programs. All events will take place in our Learning Lab, in room 1011 of the Geology Building. Parking information is available here.
- August 18-19 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Welcome back, IU students! Explore thousands of real rock, mineral, and fossil specimens in the campus's only collections-based teaching center.
- Select Tuesdays, drop in for an hour between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- August 30, September 13, September 27, October 18, November 1, November 15
- Dive into a range of art-making practices and make your own artwork inspired by our collections. Makers of all ages, abilities, and levels of experience are welcome.
International Geodiversity Day
- October 6 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Celebrate geological diversity in Indiana and worldwide with games, specimens, and hands-on activities.
- October 29 from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Wear your favorite geo-costume and explore spooky specimens of Indiana's oddest fossils and minerals in this family-friendly event.
Campus Walking Tours
Explore the unique limestone architecture of the beautiful Indiana University campus with a walking tour. You'll be amazed at the styles, techniques and artistry represented on campus.
Visiting for IU Family Weekend? Parents and other family members are welcome to attend campus limestone walking tours.
Tours run from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Each tour will begin at the Sample Gates (at the corner of Kirkwood and Indiana Avenues) and cover approximately 1 mile along an accessible route.
- Friday, September 16
- Saturday, September 17
- Sunday, September 18
The Indiana Geological and Water Survey is committed to providing reliable, non-biased earth science information to Indiana's citizens through outreach programs and partnerships around the state. For a full schedule of events, visit the IGWS calendar on the home page.
March - October
June - October