Type section and use of name: The name St. Wendells was first published as a formation name in a columnar section by Logan (1932), who apparently followed the terminology and spelling used in C. A. Malott's field notes and later published (Malott, 1948, p. 132) and who also used the term Bufkin Formation for probably equivalent rocks. The name, defined by Wier (1961, 1965) as the St. Wendel Sandstone Member of the Bond Formation, was taken from St. Wendel in Posey County, Ind., near the Vanderburgh county line. The type section was designated in the NW¼NW¼SE¼, sec. 19, T. 5 S., R. 11 W. (Wier, 1961, 1965).
Description: The St. Wendel Sandstone Member of the Bond Formation is a medium-grained micaceous massive sandstone commonly ranging from 45 to 55 feet (14 to 17 m) in thickness. In some places it directly overlies the Carthage Limestone Member, and in other places it is separated from the Carthage by shale. It is well exposed in bluffs in northern Gibson County and in Knox County. Northward in Sullivan County the stratigraphic position of the St. Wendel is occupied by shale or thin beds of sandstone and shale.