The Indiana Geological Survey recovered a nearly continuous core from a location near the type locality of the Survant Coal Member of the Linton Formation. This core spans a stratigraphic interval within the Desmoinesian Series extending from rocks immediately above the Houchin Creek Coal Member of the Petersburg Formation to an unnamed shale in the Staunton Formation immediately below the Seelyville Coal Member. This core is herein designated a reference core for the Houchin Creek Coal Member of the Petersburg Formation; the Survant Coal, Velpen Limestone, Mecca Quarry Shale (new name), and Colchester Coal Members of the Linton Formation; the Seelyville Coal Member of the Staunton Formation; and the boundary between the Petersburg and Linton Formations.
Hasenmueller, W. A., and Ault, C. H., 1991, Reference core and correlation of key beds in the Petersburg and Linton Formations (Pennsylvanian) in Indiana: Indiana Geological Survey Occasional Paper 57, 8 p., 2 figs., 2 app.
You may also like:
Keywords: Houchin Creek Coal Member, Survant Coal Member, Seelyville Coal Member, Velpen Limestone, Mecca Quarry Shale, Staunton Formation, Petersburg Formation, Linton Formation, stratigraphy, correlation, Pennsylvanian, Carbondale Group
Can't find what you're looking for? Feel free to contact us directly:
Indiana Geological and Water Survey
420 N. Walnut St.
Bloomington, IN 47404
IGS Return Policy
- Original sales receipt required.
- Returns accepted within 30 days of purchase date.
- Refund will be issued by the same method of payment as purchased.
- Products must be returned in the same new condition as purchased.
- Refunds on custom orders and digital products are NOT allowed.
- Customers are responsible for paying shipping costs to return products.