Geology for environmental planning n Starke County, Indiana (1984)

Item Number: OP42
Map Scale: 1:200,000
Price $2.00
Format(s)
Quantity

Authors: Edwin Hartke

INTRODUCTION: Starke County is in the heart of farm country in northwestern Indiana. It is a part of Indiana's planning region IV that is administered by the Kankakee-Iroquois Regional Plan Commission. About 12 percent of the land in the county has undergone urban and residential development; the remaining 88 percent is agricultural land or woodland. The first permanent settlement was established about 1840 near Ober. The settlers found and essentially flat landscape interrupted by occasional sand hills and small lakes. The level nonswampy area were flat weed prairies or dense groves of oak. A large part of the southern half of the county was swampy. In fact, much of the county was wetland. English Lake, a large but shallow lake, was in effect a widening of the Kankakee River near the confluence of the Kankakee and Yellow Rivers. It was drained when extensive channel improvements were made in the Kankakee River. The mouth of the Yellow River was described as being lost in a wild jungle of tall water grasses, weeds, wooded tussocks, and other water plants and resembled Lake Okeechobee in Florida (Thompson, 1886).



Hartke, E. J. 1984,  Geology for environmental planning n Starke County, Indiana: Indiana Geological Survey Occasional Paper 42, 13 p., 8 fig.


You may also like:

Keywords: planning, environmental geology

Can't find what you're looking for? Feel free to contact us directly:

Publication Sales Office
Indiana Geological and Water Survey
611 North Walnut Grove
Bloomington, IN 47405-2208
812-855-7636 (phone)
812-855-2862 (fax)
IGSINFO@indiana.edu

IGS Return Policy

All sales are final. Materials may not be returned after they have been accepted by the customer. Any discrepencies in mail orders must be reported to IGWS within 10 days of receipt of order.

The Indiana Geological and Water Survey will refund the purchase price and sales tax of products if returned with the original sales receipt within 10 days of receipt of order. Refunds will be issued with the same method of payment as indicated on the original receipt except for cash purchases, which will be refunded by check. Items must be returned in the same condition as purchased. Refunds on digital products and services are not allowed, except for defective media such as CD-ROMs, flash drives, and so on. The customer is responsible for paying shipping costs to return items.

Generating Your PDF

Your session for the Indiana Geological and Water Survey will expire in 30 minutes. Please refresh your broswer or click here to restart your session timer.