The map shows the location and extent of surface and underground coal mines in southwestern Indiana. Most of the mined areas shown on this map were adapted from information compiled by the Indiana Geological Survey (IGS) in the mid-1980s and published as the IGS Coal Map series. Original information collected for the Coal Maps was compiled from a variety of sources including Annual State Geologists' Reports, mining company records, archived geologic reports, geologists' field notes, resource evaluation studies, and several series of published maps. This is a small-scale map and is intended to be used as a diagrammatic tool for showing the general distribution of mines in southwestern Indiana. The Indiana Geological Survey has more detailed published maps and information for all the Indiana counties underlain by coal resources. In addition, the IGS has a large repository of historic underground mine maps which show detailed mine workings.
Eaton, N. K., and Weber, L. A., 2000, Map of southwestern Indiana showing locations of surface and underground coal mines: Indiana Geological Survey Miscellaneous Map 63, scale 1:400,000.
You may also like:
Can't find what you're looking for? Feel free to contact us directly:
Indiana Geological and Water Survey
1001 E. 10th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405
IGS Return Policy
- Original sales receipt required.
- Returns accepted within 30 days of purchase date.
- Refund will be issued by the same method of payment as purchased.
- Products must be returned in the same new condition as purchased.
- Refunds on custom orders and digital products are NOT allowed.
- Customers are responsible for paying shipping costs to return products.