The early years of the Survey’s history (1837–1986) is taken, almost verbatim, from an article written by John B. Patton (Director and State Geologist from 1959–86) (Patton, 1988). Information from later years is from various sources: the Hester years from a piece by John R. Hill (IGS Geologist and Assistant Director from 1970 to 2007) and the Steinmetz years from the reminiscences of John C. Steinmetz (Director, 1998–2015). It also includes various facts taken from Landmarks in Indiana Geology—A Timeline, an online visual history by Henry H. Gray. These various pieces were edited and expanded upon by Deborah A. DeChurch (IGWS Editor, 1992–2020), with the assistance of Nancy R. Hasenmueller, Barbara T. Hill, Jenna Lanman, Polly R. Sturgeon, and Todd A. Thompson. We also relied upon the institutional memories of other staff members.
DeChurch, D. A., ed., 2020, History of the Indiana Geological and Water Survey: Indiana Geological and Water Survey, Indiana Journal of Earth Sciences, v. 2, 17 p. DOI 10.14434/ijes.v2i0.29171
You may also like:
Can't find what you're looking for? Feel free to contact us directly:
Indiana Geological and Water Survey
420 N. Walnut St.
Bloomington, IN 47404
IGS Return Policy
- Original sales receipt required.
- Returns accepted within 30 days of purchase date.
- Refund will be issued by the same method of payment as purchased.
- Products must be returned in the same new condition as purchased.
- Refunds on custom orders and digital products are NOT allowed.
- Customers are responsible for paying shipping costs to return products.