This document examines the mercury (Hg) content of Indiana coals. The report contains maps showing the Hg content for major coal beds: the Danville Coal Member of the Dugger Formation, the Springfield Coal Member of the Petersburg Formation, and the Lower Block Coal Member of the Brazil Formation. For other coal beds, summaries of Hg distributions are provided. The average Hg content in coal in Indiana is 0.11 ppm. Measured on an equal energy unit basis, Indiana coal contains less mercury than other coal-bearing regions of the U.S.A. The distribution of Hg contents in vertical coal bed sections is analyzed and discussed with reference to the origin and association of Hg. Our data suggest that a significant proportion of Hg, especially in high-sulfur coal, is associated with pyrite. In these coals, routine techniques of sulfur removal also efficiently reduce Hg content. Relationships between Hg content and petrographic composition are poor and site specific. This paper is accompanied by a database of Hg contents in Microsoft Access format.
Mastalerz, M. , Drobniak, A. , Filippelli, G. 2004, Distribution of mercury in Indiana coals and implications for mining and combustion: Indiana Geological Survey Open-File Study 04-04, 32 p., 22 fig.
Notes: Final report to the Indiana Department of Commerce. Also available on CD-ROM for $35.00. CD-ROM also contains Hg contents in Microsoft Access format.
For more information about mercury in Indiana coals see:
- Mercury Content of Indiana Coals
- Characterization of Indiana's coal resource; availability of the Reserves, Physical and Chemical Properties of the Coal, and Present and Potential Uses
You may also like:
Can't find what you're looking for? Feel free to contact us directly:
Indiana Geological and Water Survey
420 N. Walnut St.
Bloomington, IN 47404
IGS Return Policy
- Original sales receipt required.
- Returns accepted within 30 days of purchase date.
- Refund will be issued by the same method of payment as purchased.
- Products must be returned in the same new condition as purchased.
- Refunds on custom orders and digital products are NOT allowed.
- Customers are responsible for paying shipping costs to return products.